Plastic and metal packaging
Recycling plastic saves resources and energy and reduces air pollution.
The amount of waste plastic collected in public areas and households in the City of Zagreb 2017-2020
|Schedule for plastic and metal packaging collection from households|
Plastic and metal packaging collection time will be between 2 p.m. and 10 p.m., except in the city centre, where collection time will be between 9.30 p.m. and 5.30 a.m.
Plastic and metal packaging is collected separately using yellow bins set up in public areas, bags provided to service users and at recycling centres.
The following waste is disposed in the yellow containers:
- Polyethylene bags, foil, film, bubble wrap – can be marked by the following symbols: PE-HD, PE-LD, PET, PP and alike;
- Edible oil bottles, distilled water bottles, cleaning products bottles, cosmetics bottles, medication bottles (except cytotoxic drugs), foodstuff bottles and alike – can be marked by the following symbols: PE-HD, PE-LD, PP and alike;
- Yoghurt bottles or cups, cheese cups or containers and alike - can be marked by the following symbols: PS, PP and other;
- Packaging for various food products made of polystyrene foam (Styrofoam) – can be marked by the symbol EPS and alike;
- Multilayer packaging;
- Other plastic products: drinks bottles, bottle caps, plastic plates, utensils and alike – can be marked by the following symbols: PE-HD, PP, PVC, PS, PET and alike;
- Food cans or drinks cans.
The following waste is not to be disposed in the yellow containers:
- Plastic packaging and cans that contained paint, varnish and motor oil
- Plastic packaging and cans that contained chemicals
- Bottles and cans for flammable and explosive liquids
- Pressurized cylinders or cans (e.g. propane, butane cylinders).
These items must be treated as hazardous waste and disposed of at the Špansko recycling centre, D. Cesarića 2a (phone: 091 2678 118), Klara recycling centre, Sisačka cesta No. 10 (phone: 099 263 3091), Žitnjak recycling centre (phone: 091 267 8061), Sesvete Jelkovec recycling centre (phone: 099 803 6772) or at mobile recycling centres.
Did you know?
- Plastic waste accounts for over 30% of total household waste by volume.
- Besides conserving costly landfill space, plastic recycling also saves resources and energy and decreases air pollution.
- By recycling 1 tonne of aluminium cans, 5 tonnes of bauxite are saved and energy consumption is reduced twentyfold.
- Production of 1 tonne of raw aluminium requires as much as 600,000 litres of water and 15,000 kWh of electricity!